Michigan is beautiful, there is no denying that. Whether you are a lifelong “Michigander” or have only seen photos of the “Mitten” State, you’ve no doubt stumbled across a few of the treasures that make the Pure Michigan motto so fitting. But with so much vast beauty, it makes overlooking certain areas of the state far too easy.
We recently had a couple reach out to us wanting to elope in Michigan, specifically Northern Michigan. Elopements in our home state are our favorite so we of course jumped at the opportunity. What we realized during our research was just how under appreciated and under represented Northern Michigan is. When you search “where to elope in Michigan” very few places pop up for anywhere up north.
Which, in our humble opinion, is a total waste! From Marquette all the way to the tiny towns along the Lake Huron coastline. These areas have some of the most beautiful and pristine nature
And we’re here to share them with you.
- Black Rocks – Marquette, Michigan. The iconic Black Rocks in Marquette’s Presque Isle Park are dramatic rock formations that jut into Lake Superior. Maybe you dream of a summer elopement, complete with a romantic sunset picnic on a secluded sandy beach. Or maybe the otherworldly beauty that winter brings to Northern Michigan is more your style. With icy blue waters and frozen icebergs as your wedding day backdrop. It’s not for the faint of heart but can you just imagine how amazing your wedding day photos would be? *sigh*
- Tahquamenon Falls State Park, Paradise, Michigan. The centerpiece of this park is, of course, the Tahquamenon River and its beautiful waterfalls. The upper falls have a drop of nearly 50 feet, making this one of the largest waterfalls east of the Mississippi. And an obvious choice for some killer elopement photos. Like all things in Northern Michigan, the Tahquamenon Falls are beautiful year-round, BUT, we’re partial to the October and November months when the leaves are on full display. Waterfalls and fall colors? YES PLEASE!
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Alger County, Michigan. Sand dunes, waterfalls, super cool rock formations. This location has it all for an adventure loving couple. We happen to favor the most eastern side where the dunes can reach heights of over 300 feet and you can see for miles. Making for some pretty dreamy elopement photos.
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park, Leelanau, Michigan. Wait, there are mountains in Michigan? Absolutely! Michiganders refer to them as ‘mountains of sand’. Sleeping Bear Dunes is a truly special place tucked away here in Northern Michigan. Time slows down and you are able to truly connect with your better half. We think that sounds like the PERFECT setting for an intimate elopement. We’re thinking a warm summer evening with a famous Lake Michigan sunset as the backdrop to your elopement photos.
- Lake Huron, Oscoda, Michigan. Dreaming of saying your vows on a sugar sand beach with crystal clear water lapping in the background? Yep, Northern Michigan has that too. This special area of Michigan is lined by miles and miles of pristine and secluded beaches. Making it the perfect destination elopement, without the pricy plane ticket.
There you have it! Our list of the top 5 places to elope in Northern Michigan. From the iconic Black Rocks at Presque Isle Park to the sleepy sand mountains in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park. Northern Michigan truly does have something for even your most adventurous elopement dreams. We’re talking to you, brides who swooned at the idea of icebergs and icy blue water as the backdrop to their elopement photos.
Feeling inspired and ready to plan your perfect Pure Michigan (or anywhere else) elopement? So You Want to Elope is full service elopement planning company based out of Detroit, Michigan (available for adventures worldwide). We create custom curated elopements and intimate weddings for the couple who craves adventure. Get in touch with your personal elopement concierge and start planning today.